Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Believe What You Read, Not!

I guess I may have stirred some emotions with my previous entry.

I'm elated!

See, I was actually experimenting with my writing. There was nothing interesting in politics, kids are still learning Maths and Science in English, weather has been swell, life seems mundane and I have nothing to write!

OK, I was feeling a bit low when I started writing. But hey, everyone has their low moments! So, why cuff me and put me in jail? Don't tell me you never feel sad even once in your life. You must be either thick-skinned or just plain robot.

When I got to the second part (after *sigh*), I felt a pang in my chest when I typed "I feel sad not knowing happiness". Then I thought, why not I give it a try and explain what sadness is. You can't blame a writer, can you? A writer needs a practise field, and my practise field is my blog. You think this is my diary? Snap out of it! And I am not writing my daily affairs, OK? If you need half-daily update on my life, read my Facebook status.

I don't paint beautiful pictures, I paint life's true feelings.

I don't fictionalize. All those feelings that I wrote were real. All feelings that I will write are real. My feelings as how I feel it. But I only write when I am in the moment. So those feelings were real at time of writing (or should I say, typing). Some were even long gone before I click the "Publish Post" button. So please erase the impression that I am having a sad life. I am living a life with all of its emotions in much abundance. I feel happy, I feel sad, I feel angry, I get excited. I am normal. So if you never feel happy, or sad, or angry, or know how pure absurd it feels for tripping on the side walk, then I suggest you enroll in Emo 101.

I am a writer. I write.

I take it to another level where I try to relate to you what I feel, in my own words. I elaborate where needed, I simplify where I should, I use repetitious tones to create emotions. I try different styles, different tones, different ways as and when I feel like it. I experiment with words, I turn nouns into verbs and toss in some irregularities like spice to the curry. But the rest is your creation. Trust me, I didn't make you feel sad when you read my entry on sadness. It's you, you did it to yourself!

See, your eyes capture the words on the screen and send them to your brain. The brain, in the fastest speed not described by men, analyzes, searches and matches those words with the emotions in your memory bank. The moment they match, signals are strewn all over your body and whether it likes it or not, it reacts exactly as how the words are supposed to feel as according to your dictionary defined by you. Your heart races, you palpitate, you salivate, your pupils dilate... All these in less than a nanosecond. And you say I'm the sad one? No, you are! I'm just the writer... :)

Gosh, written words are powerful.

So powerful that people believe what they read. And they believe it as how they want to believe it. No wonder people buy newspapers. I guess the rationale of newspapers is that you can read it over and over again and everytime you read it, you get a different understanding and that makes newspapers sell. People just want to re-believe what they read. :P

So next time you read anything, please don't take it at face value. It may be your brain deceiving you.

:D

P/S: I totally understand if you refuse to read my column in The Star (*wink* reading is believing).

No comments: