Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ignorance is Bliss. Not the Noun, but the Verb.

I know it's impolite. I know it's rude. But I also know that if I had been myself, I'd be even more sarcastic and spiteful.

But I think what I am trying to do is the best for all parties - to ignore and thus, to avoid lashing out because I know my words would be very hurtful.

Thing is, I am the kind who gives space to those around me. I don't prod, I don't invade privacy. I don't post on anyone's walls (on Facebook) other than to wish birthdays or to put up some less than private notices that I know will not cause damage to the person's public image. I try to give nonsensical comments to friends' statuses, but always being careful to go with the flow and not too personal. Regardless of what you've read, words that come from me are usually carefully thought of.

To me, Facebook is a public area. All that is said by you and upon you can and will be used against you. That's the rule of thumb I once learnt the hard way when I was much younger. And to it I hold.

But nothing much needs to be said if one does not respect or understand the term 'respecting another's privacy'. Indeed, respecting another's privacy involves not only knowing when to stop pulling jokes, it also takes into account knowing the connotation every word brings being read by a third party.

Of course, I can talk endlessly. So let me just make my point - ignorance is bliss. Not the noun, but the verb. Trust me. It's for the best.

No comments: