Thursday, September 3, 2009

Switching Between Hats

A full-time employee... and a part-time employer.

That's me. :)

It's not that easy switching hats, especially when the full-time hat is the one that has you think less and expect less. It feels funny that one moment you talk like an employee and the next moment has you signing letters and cheques sans attending meetings and act like you own the company.

But this life has its advantages, not that I complain.

I became a better employee - less complaining, less criticising, less problematic, more open. I became a better consultant at approaching employee matters... Of course, I don't deal with those matters directly; it's only fair as I am after all a part-timer at it.

But certain working relationship issues need a woman's emotional point of view and I must say I have been wise at dispensing it... unfortunately not at the place I spend time fully... hence, I must be viewed as a little naive girl there. :D (But that works with me as well, can't tell them how smart I am now, can I?)

Sometimes I ask myself if I'll ever take the risks of being a full-time employer - not the monetary risks, but the human-factors that may affect the productivity of the company as a whole. Staff management is not as easy as it seems. Mind you, managing a clerk at my full-time job sometimes drives me up the wall, what's more managing a team of 'management wannabees'. :) I'm pretty sure my "drill sargeant" method does not work with the current workforce, leaving me beside me, myself and I if I get too unlucky!!

So for now, I just switch hats only when I am required to. I'll stay as the "Puan Boss" when "Encik Boss" goes outstation - signing documents, dropping instructions, playing counsellors at odd times and uncalled moments.

Probably until these hats wear off.

:D

No comments: