Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Love You... I Sayang You

I had this interesting chat this afternoon - the topic evolved around the difference between love and sayang.

If someone says 'I love you', do you think it differs much to 'I sayang you'?

In more ways than one, we will usually say it's not the same. It's the connotation it brings when we say 'I love you' that makes us warm and fuzzy inside as opposed to the straightforward, unemotional 'I sayang you'.

Being the forever unsatiated arguer that I am, I looked up the definition of sayang and cinta from the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka website.

And I found (and I have abrreviated the explanation, of course):

Sayang: fond, like, having affection.
Cinta: love

I guess that explains. The warm and fuzzy feeling is not around when we shout out 'I like you' or 'I'm fond of you' or 'I have affections for you' as contrary to 'I LOVE YOU!'

Which makes me wonder. Why do we call the ones we love - boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands or wives as Sayang? Shouldn't we be calling out Cinta, instead? But that would be funny, wouldn't it?

*winks*

:)

2 comments:

Azmir Ismail said...

boleh panggil cinta.. tidak menjadi masalah ;-) tapi, nanti jadi macam drama la pulak ... cinta oh cinta .. ada apa dengan cinta ? ;-)

997 said...

ome, i think 'next round' punya, i will... :D