Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fasting, Respect and Me

Today I fast - I fast from my anger, from allowing it to take control of me. As much as I want to succumb to its raging fire, I also want to see the outcome of me trying to be patient. But I can tell you this much, it's just as tiring as fasting in Ramadhan.

I am a person who speaks my mind. I don't really care whose toes I step on. I don't like it, I say it. I like it, I mean it. And when my pride is hurt, I yell.

But in a typical Malay environment, a person like me is not welcomed. Malays generally do not welcome criticism especially those that address their personalities, their actions, their likings. I admit somewhat I am a Malay, being that I take a few moments to fully accept critics. From the moment of criticism to the point of full acceptance, the one thing that I mainly deal is the feeling of flushes on my cheeks. When the warmth subsides, I know I'm composed enough to either rebut or to acknowledge the comments. I'm trying to be different, trying to be a non-typical typical Malay.

I also do not suck up, kiss-ass or throw unintended praises.

Again, my positive attitude is a no-no for the Malays. If you don't suck up, you don't get to go up. If you don't agree, you don't get to see that extra bonus in your payslip. It sucks BIG time!

But what frustrates me most is that the leader of the suck-up pact is the newly appointed second highest person in the organization. A man so desperate to get votes (I never know I starred in American Idol all these while...) he'd stop at nothing. He'd come up with the wierdest of reasons for not approving a sports event - when in actual fact, I'd say to win support and to get to know your subordinates is from minggling with them outside of the office hours. These would be the time when true personalities come out. He'd give a mind-boggling reason for not approving anything - like, the PM training I requested for myself is "too deep" for me! Maybe I should request for a clerical training instead????

OK... OK... I admit. That's what the whole anger is about... My training was labelled as "too deep" for me. Like, duuhhhh!!! He must think that taking MBA classes put him levels higher than the rest of us! The thing here is class, man! If you ain't got class, you ain't got it at all! Huh, there goes... in split second my intonation changes.

Taking deep breath now... Cooling down... I'm fasting... from my anger...

So here I am, swallowing my pride and keeping quiet. He can think I'm shallow - he who thinks others are shallow is shallower than the shallowest stream. He can think I'm obliging - he will see a master rebel in the making. He can downgrade, humiliate, underestimate. But he can never get one thing from me ever - R.E.S.P.E.C.T. (even if I am the shallowest, tiniest, most insignificant being on earth).

"Too deep"... asshole...

(susah betul nak sabar ni....)

7 comments:

Azmir Ismail said...

Fuyoo .... panas2 ... itulah yg akan membantutkan oganisasi. Ketua yg takut org bawahannya menjadi lebih pandai daripadanya. Reminds me of a political party I know. All I can say, is patience, mi amigo. And imagine him / her as Homey the clown. It helps :)

997 said...

patience is one that i know very well but i can't seem to have enough of.

homey? can i imagine bozo instead? :D

chase said...

its amazing what u can discover wen u read between the lines.. hmm..
dont give up, 997.

997 said...

oh, chase... i'm just too tired...

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Dearie. People have different ways of working and sometimes its sick.
You know some of your staffs had some teh tarik with me. It seems that anyone who wants to take a Bank Rakyat loan must go through him... And some were disappointed with his stupid remarks. these people wanted to take some personal loans and it will be deducted from their paycheck. The MD does not approve for certain reason.. Since when the MD is working for the bank? Shouldnt the bank itself has a certain mechanism to approve loans? If you the MD thinks its good enough, go find a job at the bank. If this keeps going on I'm afraid all his staff will go for the Ahlongs... Well some people are too ignorant. For god sake this is not a government agency or a Military Camp. Just fuck off, go find some money for the company which is what you should do.

997 said...

Whoaoww... Hold your horses right there, Anon!

It ain't fair you throwing stones from my garden now, innit?

Come right out, hun... Take responsibility for what comes out from your mind... I reckon you know my mail - mail me, or call me, or Fb me... It ain't right babbling the right stuff and not standing up to it, if you understand what I mean...

:D

997 said...

Anyway Anon, I dedicate this one for you:

http://997nhercrap.blogspot.com/2009/06/it-is-of-uttermost-importance.html

Happy reading! :D