Monday, October 20, 2008

I Screamed at Her

Poor woman. All she ever wanted to do was to ask for opinion on how she should react to her employer. She was looking for solace, or maybe a good friend's ear and shoulder to listen and comfort her. I, on the other hand, was too busy pretending that I love my life.

Her number never appears on my phone. So when "Unknown" appeared, I could only think it was a bank trying to sell one of its products. I didn't think it was her, as she had been really quiet for more than a month.

Then I heard her chirpy voice.

She: Hi!
Me: Oh, hi...
She: Is it convenient for you to talk?
Me (thinking): Oh God, not even asking if I was well to listen to her whining.
Me: I'm driving.

A pause. A very awkward pause.

Me: What's wrong?

Another awkward pause.

Me: What's wrong? Tell me, what's wrong?

Then she started, whining and complaining about her work. Claiming that she doesn't know what she did wrong. Giving all the excuses in life that she's not at fault. Blaming her boss for waiting for her tasks to finish. I was going "Uh-uh", "Uh-hum", and "Hmm".

After 5 minutes, I couldn't take it. I didn't know what got into me, but I felt the devil sitting on my shoulders whispering evil words.

Then I did it. "Woman! Stop blaming people for things in life! Stop blaming the computer for having XP and that you need time to get used to using XP! It's not an excuse! Start seeing yourself as the reason to all your miseries! For goodness sake, do you think that you are too perfect that everyone is at the wrong and that you are right all the time???"

I think the whole of my uncle's neighborhood could hear me screaming. I bet it must have been an odd picture - a woman clad in proper baju kurung, with matching heels and expensive small bag screaming over the phone. They must have thought I was having a row with the hubby.

I just couldn't take the negativity any more. I need to be positive in times of negatives. I can't let her whining bring me down. But most of all, I have no strength to give her some of my positivities. I am weak, and I need no burden to carry.

But poor woman. This would be my second time screaming at her in our 10 years of friendship. The first one had us disappear from each other's lives for 6 years. I bet this one will do the same.

But hey, sometimes people just need some time away from one another.

*sigh*

No comments: