Tuesday, November 25, 2008

SUV, CUV and MPV

About 5 years ago, I begun this obsession for SUVs. I'd drool at the sight of Harriers, Lexus(es) and XC 90s. Over the years, the choices broaden - there'd be Porche Cayenne, Nissan Murano, BMW X5, Mazda CX-9 and their predecessor series... oh, the whole bunch. And I'd still drool... and I'd still turn my head... ahhh... the beauty.

Mercedez Benz has never been in my choice but ML350... urgh, to die for!

So what's with the obsession of SUVs and CUVs?

Interestingly, I happen to watch this documentary on Discovery Channel over the weekend and it talked about the revolution of SUVs in the States. It was Jeep that started the whole she-bang. They came up with a model that was a total remake of the Jeep that they used during WW1. They never thought that the model would be a hit. They needed to sell 10,000 units a month for the period of 5 years in order to break even. But the first month the new model came out, they sold 60,000 units! Beyond expectation!

The automobile analysts were baffled with the outcome. They wondered why the Americans loved the SUVs. Analysis confirmed that the male Americans loved the feeling of being powerful and in control when on the roads, while the female counterparts associated SUVs with their need to be independent while being able to provide for the needs of their family.

Aaaaahhh.... guess that's why I love SUVs!

I want to be independent (of course, I have always been) and I want to be the provider (which I have always been!). I want to be powerful (despite my size) and in control (I never said I wasn't a control-freak!). Hahahhahahaha.... Oh boy! The documentary became a self-reflection to me. What I have become in personality!

Unfortunately, for the moment SUVs and CUVs are beyond my means... really! I complain most of the time to fill up Blue, let alone thinking of filling up a CUV! And the insurance coverage! Think I'd roll everytime I have to fork out the amount! So I guess I have to settle with my blue MPV instead - the most economical of its kind, the cheapest to lug 7 adults around town, and the best kind to get cheap thrills driving around the country. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mazda 5 excluded ker...? :p

997 said...

MPV cheq! not SUV... :P