Thursday, November 13, 2008

Waiting

I'm waiting. It may come tomorrow. It may come next week.

And when it comes, I want to see how it is presented. Would it be a headline? Or would it be a small talk that would chameleon itself among the bigs ones?

Would I be clapping or would I be gruntling?

I am waiting.

:P

As we Malaysians may well know, the Government will decide whether or not to continue having Mathematics and Science being taught in English for the primary schools fairly soon after the announcement of UPSR examination results. And the result is out today. I am very sure that they have actually started tabulating the statistics already by last week. How sure would I be? Alaa... I just know lah!

Anyway, I am all for teaching these subjects in English. What I am very much against is, the way the decision is made by relevant parties. They started the move 6 years ago, guinea-pigging the Standard 1 kids. The teachers weren't very much prepared - some have awful English mind you; most of the kids weren't exposed to using English as a second language, let alone being the primary language of communication and tonnes of other setbacks but they went ahead with it anyway. Bold move.

Now 6 years have passed and the Standard 1 guinea pigs are now the guinea pigs yet again to be tested by an even higher standards, which I must mention at a national level. And if the result is nonsatisfactory, they will change the teachings to be back in the national language. Now, correct me if I am wrong but I think just one group of guinea-pigs doesn't anwer the questions accurately. Test subjects need to be in multiple batches and with variables and... oh gosh... I can't believe I'm going on and on about this.

But what ever it is, I really hope that they don't decide on changing the teaching back to Bahasa Malaysia soon. For the sake of the kids, just let it be as how it is now - Math and Science in English. It's for the better of the generation, anyway. I really hope that they don't take the easy way out...

No comments: