Monday, September 1, 2008

I Don't Get It

Finally got to see this year's Petronas' Merdeka advertisement. If all these time I've been one to be at awe with the messages, this time I was baffled. What's the message, people? I don't understand.

Pairing Afdlin Shauki and that boy from Astro Ceria's Hikayat Putera Shazlan doesn't do the trick either. Don't get me wrong. I love Afdlin Shauki. Seeing his face immediately brings smile to my face. OK, maybe he plays the role of a father who has a sense of humor. I can get that. The son? His facial gestures tak kena la... or is it because I memang tak berkenan ngan budak tu to begin with??

But then now the bigger question is what's the message? The boy grew up to become a successful son who then bought a superbike for the father who when he was growing up, saved some money instead of lavishing to the son's request. By not lavishing him, the son was challenged to make do with things around him and to be creative in using these things to get his wants. OK... But I'm still blurr. What has that got to do with Merdeka?

To remember the deeds of our parents? Err, I think that fits best for raya. To think outside the box? Eh, that's CSI!

Then, what?

So help me people... Explain it to me. I just don't get it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beb...tak pernah tgok la advert tuh..astro ada ker? nak harapkan tv3 atau rtm, mmg jgn harap lah.. tp mesti astro nie sbb ada budak shazlan tuh..GONNA SIT TIGHT IN FRONT OF TV N WAIT FOR THE ADVERT TONIGHT..! (btw, ada lagi ke advert tu? kan dah posa nie..)

Muni Samad said...

Hmmm.. dunno what it means for Merdeka.. the only message I get is that the jala is not important, the toy race car is not important.. but education is most important.. Education can give us FREEDOM ?? Only when there's freedom of speech, and the MIND is free from PENJAJAH..

997 said...

Hmmm... I think Kak Muni betul lah... tapi kalau beli motor besau tu bukan penjajah punya injected idea gak ke? :P

Anonymous said...

ok..finally, i've seen the advert. somehow, i couldn't see the connection dgn merdeka day...pelik lah..apsal Petronas punya advert cam lain je kali nie..dah kehabisan idea kot.. :p

Muni Samad said...

betul gak tu.. apa hal lak dengan motor besar tu.. well.. just a son trying to fulfill his dad's dreams... and the connection to Merdeka ? I dunno.. beats me ! I think the advert should follow the theme.. something like Perpaduan Teras something or other.. show la perpaduan.. then and now.. yang dulu-dulu punya pun boleh recycle.. kalau ketandusan idea