Friday, September 5, 2008

Nak kena cili mulut dia nih!

"Nak kena cili mulut dia nih!" is a Malay expression. The direct translation is "to rub chillies on one's mouth". For what? For saying nasty things...

Honestly I haven't been reading the newspapers lately. I have been so much to myself, especially which the latest stint of swollen gum and 2 days of MC, the newspapers take the back seat in my life.

But it seems that someone said something racial during the recent Permatang Pauh's by-election. And even though he wasn't talking about me, I can't help but feel emotional about his statement.

He called a certain group pendatang - immigrants. If I can stand in front of him, and look him straight in the eye, I'd ask him "Awak tu orang asli Tanah Melayu ke? Atau awak asal Sabah atau Sarawak ke? Awak orang Kadazan ke, Bidayuh ke?" I have no intentions of belittling these etnic groups, only that I would want this guy to admit if he was born an indigenous. If he was, then he has all the rights to say what he said. But I can bet you my last dime (macam kat The States pulak) that he is a Malay, and he'd claim he's a pure Malay at that. Tapi Melayu yang tak sedar diri, that much I can say.... marah ni!

Who is he to say that the Chinese are immigrants? As much as he didn't say it, he's also stating that the Indians are too. The Malays? He must have thought that his grandfather and great-great grandfather were born here. Before that? Jatuh from the sky, I suppose? If he studied carefully, he'd know better that to say what he said. If he studied carefully, he would have to say that all of us are immigrants! What was he thinking???

As much as my Malays friends have rights on this land, my Chinese friends do too... and so do my Indian friends.... As much as Aina has the rights to be a Malaysian, so do Chong Phui Fong and Asunta Muniandy. As much as Halim has the rights as a Malaysian, so do Raymond Ng and Pietro Felix. Everyone has the rights on this land and noone has the rights to say otherwise. Cemana nak have a unified Malaysia kalau the politicians have racial issues? Cemana nak cakap pasal having a better Malaysia when the politicians themselves yang create racial tensions?? How can we teach our children the life that we have had once when the politicians are marring the pictures with hatred?

Bodoh tak bodoh ke politician sekarang ni? And they wonder why many vote for alternatives... No wonder I label them as stupidos, no wonder I don't vote (for them). After all these anger, I feel sad. I feel like crying. I feel sad for those who did not grow up multi-racial. I feel sad for those who only know one race and one race only. I feel sad for those who never knew how it feels to be different yet accepted and belonged. I feel sad, really sad...

I remember calling an ah-pek 'Atuk' as if he was my own grandfather. I remember feeling all sad and affected when I knew he died. I remember calling my next door neighbor Uncle and him treating me like his own girl. I know the little Indian girl who stays in front of my parents' calling my parents atuk and nenek. I remember and know that all these love still exist among ethnic groups in rural areas, but in the urban areas it is being spoiled by the very politicians who are supposed to spread the same kind of love and unity. Apa ni... why is the double standard?

Until I can find the answer to this, I just recoil into my small coccoon and try to figure out how I make a difference. And Micheal Jackson's song suddenly plays in my head:

I'm Starting With The Man InThe Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
(Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change)
(Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,Na Nah)
I'm going to make at least my world a better place...

No comments: