Monday, September 22, 2008

Bloggers Beware!

Oh yes! Be on toes, dear Malaysian bloggers, for you may never know what kind of eyes are reading your writing! MUAAHAHHAHAHHAHA

Gosh, getting your opinions heard these days do cost you your freedom sometimes.

Anyways...

Today I read in a local daily a writing by our dear Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye on the Race Relation Act. Before I comment on what he said, lemme say what I thought the moment I heard of the proposal. Oh well, with due respect to Ramadhan, I'm removing all profanities - but in general , I thought they should impose the act - but on politicians only, not the public. As for far as this issue has been, I can only recall only the politicians have racial problems. The public doesn't, at least they don't express it on the media - printed or multi or whatever media source there is in this country. But whatever it is, the public assumes their lives as it has been for generations - in unity and respect. Some are even unaware of the racial issues raised by these politicians, just because their lives have always been teh tarik between Ah Chong, Ramu and Hassan. So what's the issue? There's no issue. But the politicians are creating the issue and blaming the wrong people for it. Kinda dumb I must say. Opps, I'd probably be ISA-ed for saying that. Duhhh....

In his writing, Tan Sri Lee voiced that inter-racial harmony and unity cannot be achieved through legislation. True, I agree. Like one parenting rule I heard once before - the more the parents say no to something, the more the child wants to do/get the thing that he/she wants. Rebellion. Simple. But if you reason, you probably get the child off it for the rest of his/her life. So I agree with Tan Sri Lee that legislation will not do any good. More harm I'd foresee. He also said that these whole goal can be achieved by starting with one's self. Yes, instill in ourselves, our children but don't make it a subject in school laaa... Lost?

Lemme explain. In the same local daily yesterday, it was reported that the Education Ministry has proposed an exchange program for the SJK, SJKT and SJKC pupils for the children to understand each other's culture and to instill racial harmony. Boleh ke? Is that how we teach our children ways to accept the culture of others? To expose, probably. But to instill? I don't think so. It takes not just the kid, but also the parents to ingrain in the kid's mind that cultures exist in Malaysia and that we are all integrated one way or another. Then what? Put the parents on the exchange program too? Ahak!

The exchange program should actually be in our daily lives; ongoing, never ending and permanent. It goes beyond classrooms, lecturer halls and schools. Not to be taught to the brain, but to the heart. With love, openness and acceptance. Constant, not periodical. Agree?



This is a picture I love so much - of Asunta, me and Poh Ling. Three happy innocent faces who only know of friendship that has extended to even now after many many years apart.

No comments: