Thursday, August 21, 2008

Petronas Merdeka Adverts

Are they out yet? I haven't been watching the right channels to catch them if they are already aired. I so lurve the Merdeka ads; they have been something that I look forward to in a year, other than the Raya ads, the Deepavali ads and the CNY ads.

But I must say that this year's Merdeka celebration seems a little slow. It's 10 more days to go and I haven't seen much decoration to usher in the day. Not like previous years when I could see banners and lights and whatnots strung over roadlights and stuff, the moment the calendar turns the first day of August. Is it me? Am I not passing the right roads? Or maybe I am not watching the right channels? Maybe one of these nights I should take a slow drive through the city center and see if my claim warrants.

Anyway, back to the adverts. Yasmin Ahmad has done a very good job in addressing some issues that fits perfectly for our 50th year of independence. Despite rapidly turning into a modern country the past 50 years, we still have issues that we either close one eye to or we just can't seem to see. I always have some kind of heavy thug at my heart whenever I have these issues in mind. Why can't we change? Why can't we think like the supposedly 'modern' people we claim to be? Why can't we all stand as one? What ways can we start to make a better future? We, Malaysians, are actually far from being the 'modern' people we claim to be. We have become more liberal in thinking, more posh in living but we seemed to have pawned our values. We become more selfish, more possessive, more competitive even among our own. Why do we let ourselves do this to us? What will our kids become? Questions after questions after questions, but no answers. Sad...

The 2007 Merdeka advert I love so much...

No comments: