Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What's 997?

A very close friend asked me this yesterday - what's the significance of 997? The answer: no direct significance. Other than it's Blue's registration number, it bears no meaning as to birthdates, anniversaries, deaths, new house move in dates, first date, first kiss... Oh, the list can go on an on but no, it bears no meaning.

But I can tell you why I stick to it.

I had a fight with my salesman in the course of getting Blue. I told him to get me a 3-digit number or get me a 4-digit out of a list I gave him. The next day, his despatch boy called to tell that all 3-digits were sold and went ahead to charge me RM500 for a 4-digit. I freaked out! And freaked out I did in my BFF's office. My BFF had to bear with all the screaming I was doing over the phones, with tears streaming down my face. When I was done, she had only one thing to say 'Na, ini la first time I nengok owang nak beli keter nangis-nangis! I tak penah jumpa owang cam you nih!' :D

I proceeded to get the registration number myself. With baby in hand, I queued up among car salesmen, saleswomen and despatch boys at the Setapak JPJ at 7 in the morning. My backup (my BFF and our office despatch) arrived an hour later. I used my baby as an armor for the ulats to give way for me to get to the counter. So bad, eh? A woman had to do what a woman had to do. At the counter, I told the lady to just give me any 3-digit number - I was game for anything. After 2 tries, she said 'sembilan sembilan tujuh?' and I smiled - 997 it was.

After I got Blue, I joined one particular forum for owners of Blue's kind. My nick was 997 - I was the human Blue talking and making acquaintances with other humans. When I went for tt's and lunches, the forum members fondly called me 997. It was some kind of belonging - Blue and me as one. Like a love story made in heaven! Ahak ahak! Lawak ah...

So there you go, how I got 997 and why I can't let go of it. I am 997 - and 997 is me. :D

2 comments:

Muni Samad said...

hello dear, let's see if this works..
I had wondered why the blog was named 997.. birthdate, something collapsed that day.. nah that's 911.
TQ for clarifying. .. and congrats for starting a blog.. I've always known you'd be good in this.. you never know.. this was how many people started.. Dina Zaman, Marina Mahathir.. SYABAS !!

997 said...

Heheheh... Yes, this works, Kak Muni... And I'm abandoning my initial project... Too bad lah, they lost one user already!

Thank you! :D